Shoreham by Sea Bowling club was founded in 1933 when Councillor Mr W. Packer gathered a group of people together at Shoreham Town Hall on 28th April 1933 and decided that Shoreham were to have their own bowls club.
At the meeting it was decided that Councillor Mr W. Packer would be the clubs first president, Mr A. Miller would be the Chairman, Mr G. C. Cousins would be Secretary and Mr A. Miller would be the clubs first Captain.
Councillor W. Packer informed the committee that the council would provide Woods, Mats, Slips, Number Pegs, String, etc.. for the use of the club. Club subscription would be 15/- per season and that the club dress would be Blue Blazer and Grey Flannels.
On 13th May 1933 the bowls green was officially opened with Shoreham playing their first ever game on that day against Preston Bowls Club, the result unknown.
At a meeting on 26th October 1934 Ladies were allowed to join the club, Shoreham Bowling club also joined Shoreham Sports Association.
On the 17th April 1936 the club made the founders of the club, Councillor W. Packer, A. Miller and C.E. Peak Hon: Life Vice Presidents.
The start of the Second World War had no effect on the bowls seasons and the club continued to fulfil fixtures throughout, the first in house competition to take place was the handicap singles.
In the 50’s Shoreham used to have an end of match roll up called penny on the jack where money received at the end of the season was presented to the League of Friends of Southlands Hospital.
3rd May 1956 the tenants of the café decided they were no longer going to provide teas for the clubs matches, so the wife’s of the players took it over.
In 1960 the Club decided to introduce Club ties for the players to wear.
In 1964 Fred Avenell was the first Shoreham player to gain his county badge and was also selected for the Middleton cup team on 3 occasions, the following year Fred was also the first player to be invited for International Indoor Trials.
In 1966 Fred became the 1st member of the club to play in national comps and also be a member of the ‘Denny Cup’ rink which won the Indoor Bowls Trophy, he was also involved in the First Shoreham team to win a Sussex Competition as in 1967 Shoreham won the Sussex County Fours.
In 1968 the opening game of the season became the annual match between the Captain of the Club and the President of the club it was later changed to a different date but it still takes place to this day.
On the 19th May 1980 the club received planning permission to build a clubhouse which was done and completed in 1981.
In 2000 the club decided to Amalgamate and become one club as the ladies and men joined together they still have their separate matches to this day but now have a lot more mixed games
In 2003 the club reached the furthest they had ever reached in both the Edward Roland’s and Bill Hawkins trophies as they managed to get to the semi-finals of both. The club did manage to repeat this in the Edward Roland’s Trophy in 2012.
In 2007 the club continued to expand the club as they added a toilet block to the side of the club house, then in 2011 the club extended the other side of the club house by adding changing rooms, these were opened by Councillor Debbie Kennard who continues to this day to open the outdoor season by bowling the first wood.
Shoreham had two successful years between 2009 & 2010 as the Men won the Adur Top Team in 2009 and then won Division 4 of the Brighton and Hove District League in 2010 and got promoted to Division 3 where they still are today.
In 2011 the club had their most successful season in the Stracey League as they finished runners-up a feat they still haven’t managed to beat to this day.
On 3rd September 2012 the Sussex County team came to town and took on Shoreham in a match that was used to help celebrate Fred Avenell’s 100th Birthday as he was a huge success for both teams.
Shoreham’s ‘B’ Team won Division 6 of the Brighton and Hove District League in 2013 but only spent one season in Division 5 as the club struggled with numbers leaving them with no choice but to drop the ‘B’ team from the league and only have one team competing in future.
In 2015 the club appointed its First ever lady President as Mary Turnidge took over the reins from David Cutts. Shoreham also managed to win promotion to the Second Division in this year in the Brighton and Hove District League. Shoreham clinched promotion in the last game of the season as they beat Holingbury Park 'B' 8-2 and Mackie 'B' went down 8-2 to already relegated Preston 'B'.
In the winter of 2015/16 the Committee decided to look into having a canopy built on the front of the clubhouse,this was achieved with the help from club members,and former members and MWP Carpentry of Shoreham, thus enhancing the viewing area in front of the clubhouse. At the October AGM President Mary Turnidge stepped down and John McMurran former Club Captain took over,the club also voted to go to all mixed matches,were compition rules allow,from 2017.
Please find below a copy of the first minutes from the first AGM meeting held by Shoreham Bowls Club in 1933 kindly supplied by Former Club President David Cutts